Weekly Homework and Homework Support
Please help your child to do these tasks at home each week for their year one homework:
- My maths homework (please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you cannot remember your login details)
- Daily reading of their school reading book at home with an adult
- Daily reading and spelling practise of the 110 keywords (these can be found further down this page)
Additional learning links can be found back on the main Lavender class page as well as in the weekly class diary at the base of the main Lavender class page.
Here is some more information to help support your child at home:
We place a great deal of importance on early reading and embrace synthetic phonics as a key tool for helping children to make sense of the sounds and letters which make up our spoken and written language. The school uses letters and sounds to help teach phonics.
Correct formation of letters is taught, progressing to joined up writing when appropriate. See below for the letter formations that we teach at Balliol.
There are also lots more learning links back on the main class page. Please click here to return to the main Lavender class page:
- encourage your child to listen carefully to sounds in words
- encourage them to write the sounds that they hear in order to help them make phonetically plausible attempts to spell words.
- Learning high frequency and key words – some words have to be learned from memory such as 'the'.
- encourage children to learn the spellings of these words from memory and practice writing them.
Here is a list of the high frequency and key words that we use at Balliol in Year 1:
Maths - Number formation
Here is how we form our numbers at Balliol:
Here is our calculation policy that will give you more information about how maths is taught at Balliol: